Claus and Augusta Holst moved to Mishicot in 1889 and opened Holst Department Store, which sold menís and womenís clothing and shoes as well as groceries. Sons Arthur and Hugo took over in 1918 and the store was renamed A. Holst and Sons (the ďAĒ likely referring to their mother Augusta).
George and Joan Krause purchased store in 1964 and converted it to a supermarket, but they also sold appliances for a brief time after first opening. After the Krauses moved their business to a new, larger building in 1970, located about one block down on East Main Street, the old building would soon be torn down. The land then served as a car lot for Krajnik Chevrolet, and more recently had served the same purpose for used auto dealership.
The date of this photograph is unknown, but is believed to have been taken around the turn of the century.
More on the Holst Department Store
More on Krauseís Store