This was the old General Store in Zander as it looked in approximately 1904. The store was located at the corner of Highway Q and Zander Road, northwest of Mishicot in the Town of Gibson. The store has since been razed, but the adjoining residence (the right-hand part of the structure) is still standing.
Small general stores, once a vital part of rural communities in the days when travel to larger communities was less common, would carry a wide range of products, including staple foods, hardware, agricultural goods, clothing and household items to serve all of the local community's needs. Often, items the stores did not have in stock could be ordered.