(Originally published in the Winter 2006 MAGIC Newsletter)
In 1844, Daniel Smith, a lumberman from New York, with his wife Elizabeth and eight children came to establish a saw mill in what is now the Village of Mishicot. According to some history articles, in 1846, two years later, he along with his son Alfred and possibility Ira Clarke, established a second saw mill west up the river. This was north of what became the Green Bay Road (Highway 147). Some of the remains of that mill and dam are still visible. Both mills were saw mills powered with large wheels by the current of the river.
After two years of operation, Daniel sold the mill to A.M. Serague. He ran the mill for two years who in turn sold it to Adolph Mausau. After the mill exchanged hands many times, Paul Siebold leased the mill in 1915. According to the abstract belonging to Melvin Staudinger, who resides on that land, Paul purchased it in 1919. His brother George, a single man two years younger, joined him in the operation of the mill. With George running the west mill, Paul took over the operation of the mill in the village. As land became cleared, these mills also made shingles and molding. With time they became grist mills where the farmers brought their grain for grinding into flour.
It is believed that the Siebold brothers lived in a house on the east side of the river below the hill from the Pete Skwor home. That house was moved west around the years 1925-30 to 2324 West Highway 147. An addition was later added to it. Herman Burmeister, whose parents lived on the south side of the road from the west mill, has provided pictures of that house next to the bridge before It was moved.
In the summer of 1924, there was a huge rain storm that flooded the river area. Paul and George Siebold were caught in, that flood trying to open the dam at the west mill to allow the water to flow, preventing flooding. George was lost in the river and drowned. Actually the medical report in the newspaper said he died of a broken neck. His body was found later the next day. George was buried in the family plot at the Stangelville cemetery. Paul escaped with a broken leg. According to one living brother, Frank Siebold, age 95 of Tisch Mills, believes the mill damaged by the flood was no longer used. With time it was taken down.
Paul Siebold then went to work at the mill in the village and eventually bought it from Frank Hoffman, who had built the two story brick addition in 1904. Paul had the mill until he retired. The mill in the village was taken down in 1999. Paul Siebold died in 1971. He and his wife Lucy are buried in the Evergreen Cemetery in Manitowoc.
Appreciation goes to the following who provided information for this article: Allen Siebold, of Fort Worth, Indiana, son of Paul Siebold, Frank Siebold of Tisch Mills, brother of Paul, Jeanne Staudinger; who now lives on the property, also to Bob Wenther; Herbert Burmeister; Pete Skwor; Pauline Weiss and Vicki Kellner.
Return to List of Articles